School Meals at St Michael's School
School Meals September 2018
School meals will be going up in September to £2.20 per day.
This will allow us to make further improvements to quality and choice.
Click on the link below for the latest menu.
13/09/18 - Menu change
School meals changes - 2018/2019
As an alternative to our tasty cooked meals, from September 2018 we will also be offering to key-stage 2, a school packed lunch.
Our packed lunch menu has been checked in line with the school foods standards agency so you know your child will be getting a nutritionally balanced tasty lunch.
Government packed lunch advice
The UK government produced packed lunch guidance to support the implementation of new school food standards for school lunches and ensure that all children benefit from eating quality food during the school day.
The guidelines are:
- One portion of fruit and one portion of vegetable or salad every day to be included in packed lunches
- Meat, fish or another source of non-dairy protein should be included every day. Non dairy sources of protein include lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, hummus, peanut butter and falafel
- An oily fish, such as salmon, should be included at least once every three weeks
- A starchy food, such as bread or pasta, rice, couscous, noodles, potatoes or other cereals, should be included every day
- A dairy food, such as semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, cheese, yoghurt, fromage frais or custard should be included every day
- Free, fresh drinking water should be available at all times
- Include only water, still or sparkling, fruit juice, semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, yoghurt or milk drinks and smoothies
- Snacks such as crisps should not be included. Instead, include nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruit (with no added salt, sugar or fat). Savoury crackers or breadsticks served with fruit, vegetables or dairy food are also a good choice
- Confectionery such as chocolate bars, chocolate-coated biscuits and sweets should not be included. Cakes and biscuits are allowed but these should be part of a balanced meal
- Meat products such as sausage rolls, individual pies corned meat and sausages / chipolatas should be included only occasionally.
School Meals Summer News:
05/07/18 - Wimbledon Theme Day Menu
14/06/18 - World Cup Theme Day Menu
10/05/18 - Meatballs Theme Day
19/04/18 - Jacket Potato Theme Day
School Meals Spring News:
22/03/18 - Easter Theme Day
01.03.18 - Roald Dahl Theme Day Lunch Meal to celebrate World Book Day is on Thursday 1st March
06.02.18 - Theme Day Menu
14.01.18 - PREHISTORIC THEME LUNCH
Autumn Term News:
05/12/17 - Theme Day
07/12/17 - Menu change
08/12/17 - Christmas Lunch - There will be no need to pre-book this event. Please just advise the class teacher on the day
14/11/17 - Theme Day
Sept 2017 - Fruit tuck for KS2 is now 25p
04/10/17 - Harvest Lunch menu change
05/10/17 - Census Day menu change
Food and Drink in School
St Michael's is a Healthy School, which is reflected in our policy on food and drink in school. We have a whole-school food plan: please click here to access this plan.
Lunches and Free School Meals
The provision of School Meals is now run by the school, rather than South Gloucestershire Council. We are supported by a local catering company, Palmer and Howells, who ensure that our menus adhere to national guidelines regarding nutritional standards. Where possible they use organic and locally sourced produce.
Our latest menu can be found by clicking on the link above (available shortly)
At St Michael's children may choose between packed lunch and school dinner. You may also wish to collect your child for a home dinner. School dinners will cost £2.10 per day as of Sept 2016 (KS2 only). You may pay weekly (£10.50), monthly, or termly. We prefer that dinner money is paid online, or sent in on a Monday.
Please pay dinner money in advance, children with arrears of more
than 2 weeks will not be given a hot meal.
Universal Infant Free School Meals
From September 2014 all children in Reception, Y1 and Y2 will be eligible for a free school meal.
Free School Meals (KS2)
If your child is in KS2 and you think you may be eligible for free school meals, please check with the office that you are registered. We can help you with this, or ring South Glos Council on 01454 868000. See also link underneath
Who to pay:
Cheques should be made payable to St Michael's School.
Fruit Tuck and Sweets in School
St Michael's is a healthy school and offers fruit tuck at morning break free of charge for KS1 and 25p per item for children in KS2. Children can also bring their own fruit snack for breaktime, but not cakes, sweets or biscuits.
On Wednesdays KS2 children can purchase a Faitraid snack at break time. This is a Year 6 initiative where a small group of children take charge of buying and selling stock. Prices are 50p for Geobars and 70p for cookies.
Please do not send sweets or cakes in to school for birthdays or special occasions. Sweets will not be handed out in school.
Children are encouraged to bring a named water bottle in to school each day. Please no squash or other drinks.
Milk and Fruit in Key Stage 1
Free milk is only provided to 4 year olds and ends on the Monday following their fifth birthday. We do not currently offer milk to children who are over 5.
Children in Key Stage 1 all receive free fruit either before or after morning break. All children throughout the school may bring in fruit for breaktimes.
If you are eligible for Free School Meals and would like your child to be provided with milk, please contact the school office for details